History

Colebrook United Church was founded in 1947, largely due to the population of returning soldiers moving to the area.  The present Sanctuary was built in 1959.  Architecturally, Colebrook is significant as an intact and excellent example of a post-war era religious structure, designed at a time when vertical proportions and expressionistic roof structures were used to highlight the spirituality of the architecture.  The A-frame configuration, a common variation on the West Coast style, is enabled through the use of laminated wooden beams.  Typical of the era, this structure uses a variety of materials, including stained glass, stone walls and an extensive use of wood surfaces in non-traditional ways, resulting in a composed and balanced interior that expresses spiritual calm.  The sanctuary is visually enclosed by the use of solid walls at the lower level, with clerestory windows above and a large window assembly centred on the front facade.  The architect for the church was W. Ralph Brownlee.  Colebrook United Church was the first post-war era building to receive heritage protection in the City of Surrey, based on its architectural significance and its interior and exterior integrity.

On October 25th, 2009, Colebrook United Church celebrated 50 years in the present building serving people who come from Surrey, Delta and White Rock.